We are a local history group based in south west Sheffield. Founded in the 1980s, the Group has researched, written and published a range of books and self-guided walks on the development of Nether Edge and its people. We also organise guided walks of the area, host lectures and deliver talks at the Nether Edge Festival. Open meetings are held bi-monthly at the Union Hotel, which is also the venue for December’s Traditional Carols evening.
Click here to learn more about the history of Nether Edge.
This is a developing web site but here are some of our latest posts:
- Sweet RemembranceThe Confectioners of Sheffield General Cemetery Sweet Remembrance: The Confectioners of Sheffield General Cemetery Date – Tuesday 23rd January 2024, 7.30 – 8.45pm Cost – £5 (cash only on the door, no online booking) Venue – Kenwood Hall Hotel, Kenwood Rd, S7 1NQ Confectioner researcher, Andrew Littlewood, will shed light on the stories of some Sheffield confectioners who now rest in ...
- Walk and Talk in SeptemberAs part of HODS week and the Nether Edge Festival we have a walk on the theme of Creative Women of Nether Edge and a talk on Mary Wortley Montagu titled… Pus and Prejudice In 1721 the remarkable Mary Wortley Montagu inspired a medical revolution. Her mission: to prevent the horrors of smallpox by introducing inoculation from ...
- New talks and a guided walk for 2023 by the Nether Edge History GroupWe are pleased to announce two new talks and a new guided walk. On the 12th July, at 7.30 in the Kenwood Hotel, Anne, The Bustle Lady will be talking about ‘The Wonders of Gas’, in which she will include our sewer gas powered lamp. Anne is a historian specialising in the mid to late Victorian ...
- Misc ImagesImages that haven’t yet been sorted.
- Netheredge HospitalPhotographs and drawings relating to the site of the former Netheredge Hospital and Workhouse
- Wilson’s Snuff MillPhotographs of items from Wilson’s Snuff Mill, Sharrowvale.
- Netheredge and Sharrow StreetsVarious photos and postcards of the streets in Netheredge and Sharrow.
- Edgebrook CottagePhotos of Edgebrook Cottage, Netheredge, Sheffield. Date unknown. One of the photos has “Home of the Smiths” written on the reverse.
- Brincliffe Towers PhotographsInterior and exterior photos of Brincliffe Towers (in Chelsea Park, Sheffield) taken at a date yet to be determined.
- Union Carols December 2022The Union Hotel in Nether Edge was once against the venue for the Sheffield Carols hosted by the Nether Edge History Group. Simon Dumpleton on keyboard and soloists John Little and Neil Cardwell.